Tuesday 5 June 2012

Personal Identity-Collections I


Collections.


Our latest Uni project is all about ourselves and collecting things we like. I've been looking forward to this one for a while because it's finally all about stuff we like so you can direct the project to suit you. And especially because I am a constant hoarder and my room is always full of useless junk!


Also, I love pictures of collections, there's something very aesthetically pleasing about them, to me anyway. Before I started collecting stuff I started looking around some of my favourite sites and found lots of inspirational pictures involving collections. Here are a few:




Love this one because of all the colour!



I really love this one because of the colour schemes and simplicity. I found it on a great blog called www.thingsorganizedneatly.tumblr.com 


Nice collection of cameras in the lomography shop in London, so much colour :)


I thought this was a cool idea, a collection of ingredients to make a cupcake.



I thought this was a very clever way to display a collection, having all the objects in a packet with the word on.


The collector:  My name is Liz Jones, but I also answer to Betty Jo, which has been the name of my jewellery and home wares business for almost 7 years. I am based in Melbourne Australia, which us creative folk believe is the is the cultural hub of the country. It's a great place to be for artists, designers, musicians, writers and performers as there is such a strong community of innovative and inspiring people who live here.

The collection:  I am a magpie and seem to collect  numerous items that are either functional or decorative. I have thousands of pre-loved Buttons, piles of vintage linoleum, and suitcases full of embroidered doilies especially for my jewelery and clock designs, so most of these collections get transformed into something new. Other things I collect for inspiration and appreciation include vintage children's books, ceramic figurines and salt and pepper shakers, anodised soda syphons, swap cards, retro teatowels and teacosies, haberdashery, old toys and games, and random plastic bric-a-brac I collect from beaches.



Whilst searching I also found these by Liz Jones. I just think they're so much fun and I love the idea of having a collection of things all in one colour. It helps that shes used very bold, cute, simple objects.





No comments:

Post a Comment