Tuesday 5 June 2012

Personal Identity- light leaks & coloured cellophane

I did really enjoy trying to create spontaneous pictures, but I wanted to look at other things, other reasons why I originally liked my Mum's photos. One of the main things I love about retro photography and using toy cameras is how you can get accidental light leaks. I don't believe they ruin a photo, they make it much more fascinating and creative. However if you wanted to purposefully try to get light leaks it would be very hard as we all know opening the back of the camera could lead to all your photos turning black! And as I didn't want to risk this and wasting the money getting them developed I used my phone once again! I really enjoy using my phone to recreate vintage photos because not only is it cheap and easy, but there are so many apps out there with different realistic filters of that of an old camera, its pretty impressive and a lot of fun to mess around with.

Below are some examples of light leaks from the web and one that I did by accident



My accidental light leak. Only faint, but you can make out a blue splodge at the top of the photo.





These are the ones I did on my phone on purpose..






To create the light leaks on here, its more of a sun flare and I had to point my phone in a certain direction, however using a different app called lens+ it already has the leaks on the filter and it will create them on EVERY photo you take if you select that filter, as you can see here...


The filter is actually called 'holga' as it's supposed to represent the same effects you can get using a holga camera which is another one part of the lomography series. I definitely want to experiment with this app later.

I next moved my attention to trying to create the same pink and yellow tints my Mum's photos had but using a standard digital camera rather than my phone and I thought one way to do this was to use coloured cellophane! Iv'e heard of other people trying this and thought I'd give it a go. I held the cellophane in front of the lens and these are the results!






Here I doubled up the pink colour.. TOO vibrant!



and same here!




The green one didn't seem to make any difference.






Carrying on using the cellophane I started thinking about collections again and photographing some sort of vintage object in different colours of the cellophane. I found my typewriter and photographed it at the same angle and position each time but each with a different colour.







 I think the results of using the cellophane as a coloured filter are too much, they are not subtle enough.




2 comments:

  1. I really like these. I am terrible with photography! I love the effects you've managed to achieve here.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun :) yeah it was all for my uni proj, was a lot of fun

      Delete