Tuesday 5 June 2012

Personal Identity- retro photos!

After deciding I was going to focus on cameras I started thinking what it is I like about the photos they produce and why I collect so many. I found its because I just love the vintage effect old photos produce, its something you don't see nowadays and I find the standard digital photos very boring.

I started rummaging around in old photo albums, looking for old photos and came across a collection of random photos that hadn't been put into an album of my mum and her friends from when she was in Ballet School. I immediately fell in love with them because they all possessed so much liveliness and character. They were a snapshot of someone else's past and all the items in the photos were authentic of that era. They were not posed, they were not perfectly composed, they were natural.. of a time where teenagers were having fun. It was like being invited into a secret world of something you weren't supposed to see. There were a lot of them, but here's a collection of some I particularly liked..

















What I noticed most when looking at them were all the different colour hues they had to them, I love how a few at the top are just pink and most people would consider that picture ruined or not perfect, but I think it makes it so interesting and beautiful.
I'm all about fantasy and I believe they take you into another world, they're not ordinary. This is part of the reason why I love old photography so much instead of digital, because digital cameras want to be as realistic as possible to what the eye is seeing whereas the technology say in the 70s wasn't as good as it is now, making the cameras of that era produce far more interesting and dreamy results. 

No comments:

Post a Comment